Terminology You Should Know Before Getting a Family Lawyer


Family law is quite broad. If you need the services of a family lawyer, you need one that has experience in the particular services you need. It is, therefore, important to get familiar with various terms you might come across. Knowing these terms also helps you get a better understanding of your situation.

Family Law

This is a practice that covers legal issues arising from family relationships. The most common family issues include divorce, property distribution, custody concerns, domestic violence and adoption. If you have any of these needs, you should look for a family lawyer who works within that particular need. For example, if you are getting a divorce, choose a family lawyer who has done other divorces.

Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreement

A prenuptial agreement is signed before a couple gets married to indicate how marital property should be shared in the event of a divorce or death. A family lawyer who has prepared other prenuptial agreements is required.

If you didn't sign a prenuptial agreement before you got married and you still want to, you have the option of a postnuptial agreement. It is similar to a prenuptial agreement but is signed after you get married.  

Marital Property

This is the property obtained by either spouse during their marriage and is subject to division in the case of a divorce.

Domestic Violence

Most people assume that domestic violence is physical. This is not always the case. Domestic violence can also be verbal, sexual, financial, emotional, social and spiritual. You might not be familiar with social abuse; it is when your spouse prevents you from seeing or speaking to your friends and family. Spiritual abuse is when your spouse prevents you from practising your religion.

You require the help of the police, especially if the domestic violence is physical, and you need a family lawyer who has worked on domestic violence cases before.


There are times when a minor who has not attained the age of majority may want to be freed from the control of their guardians or parents. This is what is known as the emancipation of minors. The guardians or parents are also relieved of any responsibilities towards the minor.


In court cases, you might hear that a lawyer needs to file a particular document. This means that he or she has to lodge particular documents needed for your case with a registry of the court.

Divorce Order

This is an order that is usually made by the court to end a marriage. It is good to note that typically, during a divorce, each spouse should have a different lawyer.

For more information, contact a family lawyer.


22 October 2019

Sorting out my dad's estate

My dad died when I was still pretty young so it's been a big surprise all the stuff I've had to do to sort out his estate. I'm an only child and my folks divorced when I was a baby so most of the work fell to me. He was kind of disorganised and grumpy, but at least he'd spoken to his lawyer and got a proper will drawn up which saved on confusion at a tricky time. If you are a young person dealing with the estate of a deceased parent, this blog is designed to help you navigate the legal processes.